Aigles Bleus Fly Past VReds

Aigles Bleus Fly Past VReds

(MONCTON, NB) The Universite de Moncton Aigles Bleus were in flight early, scoring on their first shot on goal… and they never looked back.

Just past the 2:00 minute mark of the first period, Thierry Comtois took a Mitch Robillard pass and beat Alex Dubeau to give the host squad an early 1-0 lead.

Less than four minutes later, Joel Blanchard took advantage of a turnover by the Varsity Reds and scored to give Moncton a 2-0 lead.

It was not the start Dubeau, a former Moncton Wildcat, was hoping for.

He faired no better in the second period.

A mere 21 seconds in, Allain Saulnier beat Dubeau to give Moncton a 3-0 lead.

Despite a hard press by the Varsity Reds and numerous chances, UNB could not find a way to solve U de M netminder Brandon Thibeau.

Down 4-0 and with time winding down in the second, Tyler Carroll finally found the net for the VReds, but the lift was only momentary.

Two-and-a-half minutes later, Moncton re-established its four goal lead on Jean-Sebastien Fournier's power-play goal.

Etienne Marcoux took over in the Varsity Reds' net to start the third period and that seemed to provide some spark.

At 2:36, Francis Beauvillier scored to make it 5-2, but again, the momentum was short-lived. 42 second later, Robbie Graham beat Marcoux to give Moncton a 6-2 lead.

Cameron Brace pulled UNB to within three with a blast from the slot while the Reds enjoyed a two-man advantage.

Alex Saulnier would score Moncton's final goal of the game before Stephen Anderson would add another for UNB to make the final… 7-4 pour les Aigles Bleus.

Matt Boudens and Chris Caissy each had two assists for the Varsity Reds.

Alex Saulnier, with a goal and two assists, was named the Subway player of the game.

In the UNB net, Dubeau gave up five goals on 17 shots while Marcoux faced 11 shots, giving up a pair.

The VReds put 40 shots on Brandon Thibeau.

The two teams meet again Friday night, at the Aitken University Centre. Game time is 7:00PM. It will be the final game of the first half of the season for the Varsity Reds.